Hi and welcome to the world of me, Yasmin Marks. I hope you will enjoy reading and finding out all there is to know about my rowing career; from training, racing and beyond!

Sunday 3 August 2014

Summer 2014 – Training, racing and camps

Right, I may have been a little absent from blogging this year but I am back and going to keep you up to date as best as possible from now on – I’ve got no more excuses! So let’s catch you up with the 2014 season…

From where I left off, the following 3 months were full of ergos, ut2 paddles and weight sessions. Training, training, training for the racing season. The monotonous training was eventually broken by a trip to France for a 10 day training camp with my fellow squad members at Lac D’Aiguebelette.  This was an absolutely beautiful place and I loved every single minute of camp! I wish I could permanently train there - perfect weather, flat calm water and the best food EVER…3 course dinners twice a day is heaven – unless you are a lightweight and need to weigh in L
 
 
 
When we got back it was time to focus and get my head in the game for the final trials which I had been invited to. Coming back from camp I was feeling prepared but extremely nervous about it all. Unfortunately due to weather conditions the usual 2 day trial got pushed into one day with racing starting very early to fit the entire process in on one day. The conditions were extremely strong winds with lots of gusts (my worst condition which I struggle in greatly!). I didn’t perform to what I know I can on the day and was very upset about how it went. Basically it was the WORST I had ever raced on probably the most important race to date. I finished 8th overall within the U23 lightweight girls and missed out on a place for the U23 World Championships by 2 positions! This news upset me and it took a great deal for me to get my spirit back with rowing again. I was very down and not getting invited to the crew formation week knocked me back. Luckily for me I have a great support team from all my family and squad members and with their help I soon perked up.

Once I had regained a bit of focus I looked forward to racing at some regattas. I have raced at many regattas this season however I opted to enter into the highest level for lightweight women so I was regularly competing against current GB lightweight squad members so all racing has been very tough. I view it as the way to improve though as one day I need to be beating these girls so I can get selected instead of them.

Regattas: BUCS Regatta, Notts City Regatta, Met Regatta, Henley Women’s Regatta
 

In a nutshell, the 2014 season has been an emotional rollercoaster for me. I have had many ups and downs but back on track now and don’t have thoughts of quitting anymore…phew! This is one season I will reflect upon as I feel I have learnt a lot about myself and the rowing world, it’s been one huge learning journey. Let’s see what my first year as a senior lightweight rower will bring…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment :-)