Hi and welcome to the world of me, Yasmin Marks. I hope you will enjoy reading and finding out all there is to know about my rowing career; from training, racing and beyond!

Sunday 5 January 2014

1st Assessment – GB Trials 2013/2014


Sorry for the (very) late post about this assessment! I have been very busy with training, uni work and celebrating Christmas.

On Saturday 16th November I travelled over to Boston for part 1 of the two day trial. This day consisted of completing a 2km ergo test as fast as possible. I was very calm and relaxed for saying what I was about to endure, this was a first for me and I hope it lasts! It may have been due to 10 days prior the trial I completed a 2km test and produced a 7 second PB completing the distance in 7:14.9 J therefore I had confidence in myself that I could produce a time above the standard for U23 lightweights (7:38.0). My race time was 2:30pm so I had a relaxed journey over to Boston (not an early start YAY) and weighed in 3.4kg lighter than the limit, woohoo! Once warmed up I was all set to go and distracted myself from the lightweight heat before me, as watching your competitors complete before you is a challenge in itself! Next thing I was sat on the ergo waiting for the word GO…the race went to plan and I achieved what I set out to do, create a PB of 7:14.0 J in just 10days I had taken nearly a whole second off. I finished 4th overall but came 2nd in the U23s. I was extremely pleased with this result and I was in a prim position for the next day’s water trial. I travelled home, ate and slept trying to recover my body as fast as possible so I felt fresh for the next day’s testing.

Sunday arrived with a slightly earlier start to the day but the weather looked very good with no rain or wind. I needed to weigh in again and I passed this with plenty to spare…boat was ready to go and all I needed to do was eat up and prepare myself mentally for a very tough race. My legs didn’t feel 100% fresh but I knew I just had to go out there and give it my all. Before I knew it I was on the water warming up to the start of the 5km water trial. Due to finishing in 4th position the previous day my start position was high up…I am weaker on the water so this made me nervous! I knew I had a very fast sculler chasing me down so was prepared to keep her off for as long as possible. The race began and I must say it was the hardest 5km water race I have EVER completed! The landing stage couldn’t come into sight quick enough. I did get overtaken but tried my hardest to stay with her and not let anyone else over take me. I finished 10th overall but came 5th in the U23s so a very good achievement as I usually finish in the lower half of the entries!

Overall I had a very good weekend and placed myself in a good position for future trials, testing and training camps. The following Tuesday I got invited to a crew boat testing training camp in Caversham on 16th-21st December and am very excited about going to it! But first I have to train for the next trial stage which was another 5km water trial in Boston on 14th December.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment :-)