Hi and welcome to the world of me, Yasmin Marks. I hope you will enjoy reading and finding out all there is to know about my rowing career; from training, racing and beyond!

Monday 27 January 2014

GB U23 Training Camp – Cardiff

Having recovered (finally) from my tendonitis, I decided on New Year’s Day that I would be able to go on the GB U23 training camp in Cardiff on the 2nd January until the 12th January. So New Years Day saw me packing for an intense camp of indoor training consisting of ergs, weights and more ergs! I was, in some unusual way, really looking forward to it.

My dad very kindly drove me over to Cardiff and dropped me off leaving me with all my kit at the Welsh Institute of Sport…little did I know that was the last time I would see the outside world!

Day one and we were straight into training getting tested to see our ability of core strength and upper body strength. Group games afterwards slowly introduced each other and got people talking and getting to know each other.

Each morning we woke at 6:30am and had to monitor out physiology through urine samples, checking our resting heart rate and weighing ourselves. This got recorded so that the coaches were aware of how we were coping with all the training, we had to do this at home since 24th December so that we could get used to recording and monitoring ourselves…as a lightweight having to weigh myself over the Christmas period, where I stuffed my face every day, wasn’t a joyful experience but one that had to be done.

Training each day consisted of 4 sessions: an ergo – usually an 18km, followed by weights. After lunch we usually did some cross training such as a run or swimming and then did another ergo – power strokes and some stability or core work. We got two afternoons off and these were what got me through…the excitement of having only two training sessions was beyond me!

I was really enjoying all the training, even if my body had reached extreme exhaustion from not being used to doing so much, until I woke up on 9th January with such a sore throat. My heart rate had increased dramatically so I got sent back to bed and had to remain there in isolation. My roommate had to change rooms and I was not allowed to eat near anybody. I felt like I was in prison…it was horrible and I don’t actually think I have ever felt so sorry for myself; all I wanted was to be at home in my own bed (not the comfiest and nicest of rooms to be isolated in L ). The next day I was no better and could hardly talk so the coach decided to send me home as there were only 3 days left. Thank god my dad had dropped me off as they weren’t allowing me to drive home or catch the train on my own as I would be better resting. So my dad came and picked me up at lunchtime and took me home. Thank you for saving the day dad! I don’t know how I would have coped staying isolated for much longer…I was just glad to be in my own bed and see other people!

Upon reflection I had a great time on camp, even if getting ill made it come to end earlier for me.  I gained a lot and feel my baseline fitness has improved lots from all the consistent endurance training on the ergos that we did. Let’s put it one way – it hasn’t put me off going out to achieve my dream of being on the GB Rowing team, if anything I want it even more now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment :-)