Hi and welcome to the world of me, Yasmin Marks. I hope you will enjoy reading and finding out all there is to know about my rowing career; from training, racing and beyond!

Monday 27 January 2014

Media

Please find below an article that was written about my rowing achievements and aims in the Derby Telegraph.

Newspaper Article:

ROWING: Derby University student Yasmin Marks closing in on place in coveted Great Britain squad

By Derby Telegraph  |  Posted: December 07, 2013
By ROWING BY COLSTON CRAWFORD
yasmin
Yasmin Marks
Comments (0) CHELLASTON rower Yasmin Marks is closing in on a coveted place in the Great Britain squad.
The 21-year-old University of Derby student has done well at the first of a number of trials – and has another coming up on December 14 in her category, which is lightweight sculls.
And while her greatest hope would be to break through in time for the 2016 Olympics in Rio, Marks also has an eye on next year's World Under-23 championships, in Italy in July.
"I'd ultimately love to do Rio – if I'm good enough," she said.
"But I'm aiming to get into the under-23 world championships before that, as it's my last year at under-23."
Marks has come relatively late to rowing, having spent her younger teen years as a swimmer.
She has been rowing for only four years but quickly found herself breaking age group records when she took up the sport.
"I was a swimmer and my dad got me into rowing, as he had done it when he was younger," she said.
"I only went for it just to have a sport to do but I've always had that competitiveness in me.
"When I'd done about a year, I started winning competitions and I got a buzz from that."
Having started at Derby Rowing Club, Marks moved on to Nottingham Rowing Club but starting her three years course in psychology at the University of Derby has also helped – the university awarded her a bursary as a contribution to her training costs and she competes in British Universities & Colleges Sports events for Derby.
She had to travel to Boston in Lincolnshire for the most recent GB trials, held over a weekend.
The first day saw the triallists in ergo tests – on a rowing machine.
"We needed to perform a 2km ergo test," she said.
"I was in the second round of lightweights, so had to distract myself whilst the first round was taking place, as I couldn't bear to watch my competitors, knowing I still had to race.
"I felt calm and relaxed, a first for me when doing a 2km test, so I was in the best state I think you could be in.
"The adrenaline was pumping. I began with a very strong first 500m and kept pushing to achieve a personal best.
"My final time was seven minutes, 14 seconds, a PB by almost one second.
"I finished fourth out of 38 lightweights and was second in the under-23 category, so that was a good result."
The second day was a 5km water trial and, for once, conditions were ideal – the second days of trials are often cancelled due to the weather.
"I had a good row but must say that it was the most difficult 5km race I had ever done, as I pushed myself flat out from the off," said Marks
"I finished 10th out of 33 lightweights. I am usually in the bottom half of the water results, so to finish in the top 10 made my weekend."
She returns to Boston for the next trial, aiming to finish higher up the top 10.


Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/ROWING-Derby-University-student-Yasmin-Marks/story-20273926-detail/story.html#ixzz2rd7Mfk52

 
 
I also had a live interview on BBC Radio Derby on the 11th December 2013. This was an enjoyable experience and I talked about the November trials and my next steps with regards to gaining selection into the U23 GB Rowing team. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment :-)